May 23, 2012
By Spencer Newsad
Eventsq Teen Service Day, 10 a.m. May 26. The Snoqualmie Valley YMCA encourages local teens to serve across our community. 35018 S.E. Ridge St. Snoqualmie. Free to community members.
- Share Your Story: Pop-up Museums, 11 a.m. May 27, Cedar River Watershed Education Center, 19901 Cedar Falls Road S.E.
- Tween Nights, 7 p.m. June 1, at Si View Community Center. Fee $5. For children in grades 5-7. 400 S.E. Orchard Drive, North Bend
- Valley Center Stage presents “Zelda,” a one-time performance to raise funds for Valley actress Denise Paulette’s trip to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in Scotland in August. 7:30 p.m. June 1. Admission is pay-what-you-will. 119 W. North Bend Way.
- Daddy-Daughter Dance, 6:30 p.m. June 2, Si View Park. Fees: $25 per couple, $10 per additional child.
- All Comers Fun Meets, 2 p.m. June 3, Mount Si High School. This is a chance for children ages 3-14 to participate in up to five events, including sprints, runs, long jump and javelin. Register online at www.siviewpark.org. Call 831-1900. $5 drop-in fee
- SnoValley Indoor Playground, 9:30-11:30 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays when school is in session, Si View Community Center, 400 S.E. Orchard Drive. A donation of $1 per child per visit is appreciated.
- Sallal Grange Community Games Night, 7 p.m. last Wednesday of each month. Please consider bringing a small monetary donation to help the Grange keep organizing events like this, www.sallalgrange.org.
- Carnation Farmers Market, 3-7 p.m. every Tuesday from May to November, fresh food from family farms and small producers, including vendors from the Upper Valley. Downtown Carnation.
- Watercolor exhibit at Mount Si Senior Center through June 9, artists range from high-schoolers to senior citizens, 411 Main Ave. S., North Bend
North Bend Library
The following events take place at the North Bend Library, 115 E. Fourth St. The library will be closed May 28 in observance of Memorial Day.
- Mount Si Artists Guild exhibit, May 1 to June 15. Themes are “Summer is Coming,” and “Summer in the Valley.” All ages are welcome during library hours.
- Snoqualmie Valley Chess Club, 7 p.m. Thursdays. Learn to play chess or get a game going; all ages/skill levels welcome.
- Study Zone, 4 p.m., May 24, 31; 3 p.m. May 29; 7 p.m. May 30; free tutoring for grades K-12
- Game On! 3 p.m. May 25; play Xbox 306, PlayStation and Nintendo, “Guitar Hero” and “Dance Dance Revolution;” board games and snacks available
- SnoValley Writers Work Group, 3 p.m. May 27
- Volunteer with the Peace Corps, 7 p.m. May 29, for adults
- Preschool Story Time, 10:30 a.m. May 29; ages 3-6 with adult, siblings welcome
- Toddler Story Time, 9:30 a.m. May, 29; ages 2-3 with adult
- One-on-one Computer Assistance, 1 p.m. May 30; for adults
- Pajamarama Story Time, 6:30 p.m. May 30 all young children welcome with adult.
The following events take place at the Snoqualmie Library, 7824 Center Blvd. S.E. The library will be closed May 28 in observance of Memorial Day.
- Pajama Story Times, 7 p.m. May 31. All young children welcome with adult. Wear your PJs if you like.
- EReader Assistance, 11 a.m. May 24, 31. Learn how to download library eBooks to your eReader or computer.
- Cenerentola: The Italian Cinderella Puppet Show, 7 p.m. May 24, ages 4 and older
- Study Zone, 3 p.m. May 29; free tutoring for grades K-12
- Preschool Story Times, 10:30 a.m. May 30, ages 3-6 with adult
- Young Toddler Story Times, 9:30 a.m. May 30; ages 6-24 months with adult
- Anime and Manga Club, 3 p.m. May 30. Watch anime movies, eat popcorn and practice anime drawing.
- River Outreach seeks donation of coats, pants, sweatshirts, long underwear, hats, gloves, socks, and anything that may help homeless people stay warm. Call 830-1654 or 681-7380.
- St. Clare Episcopal Church is collecting cereal for the Mount Si Helping Hand Food Bank. People wanting to donate money instead may write a check to the food bank, P.O. Box 2464, North Bend, WA 98045.
- Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church seeks to collect, tarps, candles, duct tape, flashlights, toilet paper, toiletries, hats, gloves, ropes and scarves for the homeless. Bring donations to the church’s parish hall at 39025 S.E. Alpha St.
- Butterfly Magic ballet lessons at Si View Community Center, 10:45-11:45 a.m. Wednesdays, through June 6, $42, for ages 3-6
- “Tween Yoga” at Si View Community Center, 4:30 p.m. Thursdays from May 3 to June 7, $50 fee, ages 9-13
- Swimming lessons at Si View Community Center, Tuesdays and Thursdays, $70; through May 19 Saturdays only, $42. More swimming lessons are coming. Learn more at www.siviewpark.org.
River Awareness and Safety, 2-5 p.m. June 1, Tanner Landing Park, corner of 433rd Ave. S.E. and S.E. Mount Si Road. For children 10 and older. Ages 10-14 must be accompanied by an adult. Fee $30.
- The Boeing Classic golf tournament seeks volunteers for its 2012 edition. Tournament will occur Aug. 20-26 at TPC Snoqualmie Ridge. Volunteers will receive two golf shirts, a jacket, headwear, admission passes, meal vouchers and more. Further details are at www.boeingclassic.com.
- Encompass is currently seeking volunteers to help with our landscape and maintenance at both the downtown North Bend and Boalch Avenue locations along with office help. This can be a weekly or monthly commitment. Email email@example.com or call 888-2777.
- Snoqualmie Sister Cities Association invites community members to join a newly formed group to support Snoqualmie’s new sister city, Chaclacayo, Peru. The association already has developed a close relationship with sister city Gangjin, South Korea, which more than 30 residents have visited in the past four years. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503-1813.
- The Mount Si Food Bank is looking for volunteers to help unload food at noon Mondays, sort food at 9 a.m. Tuesdays or pass out food on Wednesdays. Call the food bank at 888-0096.
- The Elk Management Group invites the community to participate in elk collaring, telemetry and habitat improvement projects in the Upper Snoqualmie Valley. Project orientation meetings are at 6 p.m. the third Monday of the month at the U.S. Forest Service Conference Room, behind the Forest Service office, 130 Thrasher Ave. Email email@example.com.
- Snoqualmie Valley Hospital is accepting applications for ages 16 or older to volunteer in various departments of the hospital. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an interview.
- Senior Services Transportation Program needs volunteers to drive seniors around North Bend and Snoqualmie. Car required. Mileage reimbursement and supplemental liability insurance are offered. Call 206-748-7588 or 800-282-5815 toll free, or email email@example.com. Apply at www.seniorservices.org.
- Mount Si Senior Center needs volunteers for sorting and sales in the thrift store, reception and class instruction. The center is at 411 Main Ave. S., North Bend. Call 888-3434.
- Hopelink in Snoqualmie Valley seeks volunteers for a variety of tasks. Volunteers must be at least 16. Go to www.hopelink.org/takeaction/volunteer.com or call 869-6000.
- AdoptAPark is a program for Snoqualmie residents to improve public parks and trails. An application and one-year commitment are required. Call 831-5784.
- Study Zone tutors are needed for all grade levels to give students the homework help they need. Two-hour weekly commitment or substitutes wanted. Study Zone is a free service of the King County Library System. Call 369-3312.
- Survivors of the Snoqualmie Valley School District. Meets once a month, the third Tuesday of the month, except September, at the Si View Community Center. Please contact 292-7191, for a complete list of upcoming meetings.
- Mount Si Fish and Game Club, 7:30 p.m. first Thursday (October through May), Snoqualmie Police Department, 34825 S.E. Douglas St.
- Snoqualmie Valley Rotary Club, 7 a.m. every Thursday, TPC Snoqualmie Ridge Golf Club Restaurant. All are welcome. Go to www.snoqualmie-valleyrotary.org.
- Snoqualmie Valley Garden Club, 6:30 p.m. second Thursday, Mount Si Senior Center, North Bend, 888-4646
- American Legion Post 79 and the American Legion Auxiliary, 7 p.m. second Thursday, 38625 S.E. River St., Snoqualmie, 888-1206
- Snoqualmie Valley Kiwanis Club meets at 7 a.m. every Thursday at the Mount Si Golf Course restaurant in Snoqualmie, firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit an item for the community calendar by emailing email@example.com or go to www.snovalleystar.com.