Festival at Mount Si set for this weekend
August 7, 2013
Going strong for at least 40 years, the Festival at Mount Si (formerly known as Alpine Days) was created to celebrate the community of North Bend. The three-day festival will be held Aug. 9-11 at Si View Community Center.
The Community Center dates back further than the Festival. It is celebrating its 75th anniversary. A two-year remodel is nearly complete.
“The newest part of the festival will be the layout and new park features,” said Jill Massengill, festival committee president of 12 years. “The new features are really wonderful and include an awesome kids’ area, a permanent stage and pavilion, an outdoor restroom and a concession stand.”
There will also be many food booths, a beer garden, art and craft vendors, plus a new seating and grass area with new walking path. Along with all the new activities are favorite traditions including the annual Chili Cook-off, the Cherry-Pie Eating Contest and the Burstin’ with Blueberries dessert contest.
The Art in Festival Hall will feature different local artists and performers in action each day, including demonstrations of painting, weaving, wheel-throwing and Snoqualmie tribal carving. There will also be live dance and music performances from local musicians and performers.
“The festival has grown over the years to include over 100 vendors, including local art and local businesses. It has doubled in size in the last 10 years,” said Massengill.
The only exception is the past couple of years, as the park remodel has caused the festival to scale back a little.
“We do have plenty of ideas for next year,” she added.
The Grand Parade begins at 10:30 a.m. Aug. 10 and runs through downtown North Bend. (The Kids Parade starts at 10:15 a.m.) Participants line up on Cedar Falls Way.
The parade heads northwest along North Bend Way, turns right onto Second Street and ends in the North Bend Elementary School parking area.
The popular Amazing Pets program will be held at 4 p.m. Aug. 10 in the lawn tent at the main festival site.
Prizes will be awarded for the best costumed pet and the best trick.
The annual fireworks show begins at 9:45 p.m. Aug. 10 in Torguson Park, 750 E. North Bend Way.
Shanel Scholz is a student in the University of Washington Department of Communication News Laboratory.
If you go
What: Festival at Mount Si
Where: 400 S.E. Orchard Drive, North Bend,
When: Friday-Sunday, Aug. 9-11
Contact: 425.888.8535; www.festivalatmtsi.org
Festival at Mount Si schedule of events
Friday, August 9
• 5:00 – 10:00 Beer Garden Sponsored by the Rotary Club of Snoqualmie Valley
• 5:00 – 9:00 Arts in Festival Hall (Inside gym)
• 6:00 – 9:00 Food Booths, Arts and Crafts
• 6:00 – 8:00 Kids Area
• 6:00 – 9:30 Live Music (Main Stage)
Saturday, August 10
• 10:00 – 7:00 Arts in Festival Hall (Inside Gym)
• 10:00 – 7:00 Food Booths, Arts and Crafts
• 10:15 Kiddie Parade Sponsored by Si View Metro Parks, Tour de Peaks, and Scott’s Dairy Freeze Kids (up to age 10) meet at the corner of Downing/North Bend Way at 9:30
• 10:30 Grand Parade Sponsored by Snoqualmie Casino
• 11:00 – 7:00 Kids Area
• 11:00 – 10:00 Beer Garden Sponsored by the Rotary Club of Snoqualmie Valley
• 11:30 – 5:00 Silent Auction Proceeds help to fund The Festival at Mt. Si
• Noon – 9:30 p.m. Live Music (Main Stage)
• 12:30 Blueberry Dessert Contest Sponsored by My Cakes and Bybee Nims Farms
Bring your dessert to the Information Booth at 11:45 a.m., judging at 12:30 p.m.
• 1:45 Parade Awards (Main Stage)
• 2:15 – 3:00 Cherry Pie Eating Contest (Lawn Tent) Sponsored by Twede’s Café
Youth and Adult Competitions
1 p.m. sign up at the Information booth.
• 4:00 – 5:30 Amazing Pets (Lawn Tent) Best Costume, Best Trick
• 9:45 Fireworks (Torgeson Park) Sponsored by the Wyrsch Family and their businesses:
Mt. Si Chevron, Mt. Si Shell, North Bend Schell, Wanted Espresso, & Wyrsch’s Towing
Sunday, August 11
• 7:00 to 2:00 Snoqualmie Valley Hospital Tour de Peaks Bike Ride (Main/North Bend Way)
• 10:00 to 4:00 Food Booths, Arts & Crafts
• 10:00 to 4:00 Kids Area
• 10:00 to 4:00 Arts in Festival Hall (Inside gym)
• 11:00 to 4:00 Beer Garden Sponsored by the Rotary Club of Snoqualmie Valley
• Noon to 3:30 Live Music (Main Stage)
• 1:00 – 2:00 12th Annual CHILI COOK OFF Sponsored by the North Bend Bar & Grill
People’s Choice Tasting begins at approximately 1:00
Winners Announced at 2:45 ($300.00 First Prize Judge’s Choice)